Language is the identity of an individual. On a much larger scale, it is how nations identify themselves. In a global village and a shrinking information highway, language acts as the adhesive that binds people’s minds and aspirations.
For long, language had also acted as a barrier. Different regions had their own set of speaking rules, and hence for an outsider, it would become a challenge to comprehend the nuances or even the beauty of the particular culture. However, in an ever-expanding world economy, the invisible barrier of culture has given way to a more seamless symbiosis. Technology has played a big part too.
Translating one language to another, or for that matter any language to English, the universal language of business has helped individuals and companies grow.
However, there are pitfalls along the way, and that is something this article will contribute to finding out:
- The problem of plenty does not relate to the translation business, more so if it happens to be a German to English translation service. One of the pitfalls of outsourcing German to English translation service is that few translators are available for translating heavy volumes. Translation companies rely on the services of freelancers, which is a great way to spread connectivity, to complete projects. One of the major advantages of translating German to English is that both happen to be popular languages and hence, barring initial glitches, the job gets done. However, the same may not be the case for obscure languages.
- In spite of both being languages in vogue and spoken by millions, the chances of error free translation gets obscured by the mad rush of completing projects. Though there are proper certifications that test and judge translators on their capability to translate a language into another, it needs to be remembered that to understand the subtle emotions an expression radiates, tests and grades are not always reliable; experience is. That, unfortunately, has always been the Achilles heel. German to English translation service also suffers from these pangs. One prominent example would be the usage of the word Kuche. English has two words for it: kitchen and cuisine. It is up to the ability of the translator to understand the correctness of the situation.
- As a result of which the prices of language translation always seems to be heading north. A quick survey at how much they cost over the years will definitely provide you with an upward trend. This is the direct fall out of the absence of a large pool of translators. Experience, as mentioned in the previous point, not only counts but also costs a lot.
- The translation industry is a $33.5 billion behemoth and is expected to touch $37 billion by 2018. The top spots are dominated by military contractors and the rest by translation services spread across the world. What the figures do not convey is the percentage of individuals involved in the actual work. In soldierly parlance, the boots on the ground are simply not enough. The German to English translation service too have suffered from this. Despite the fact that a majority of the world speaks English and a sizeable population speaks German, it is the lack of understanding of the link of these languages that prove to be a significant barrier.
- The similarities of both the languages lie in stark difference to the quality of service being provided. Both the languages are derived from Germanic roots and have strikingly similar words. In fact, 80 of the 100 most common words spoken in English are Germanic in origin. In spite of that, the German to English Translation service tend to become fragmented, with one part of the outsourcing focused on one part of the job and another on a different role.
- As mentioned previously, translation volumes and time pressures play havoc with the quality of the output. The result is that the end product gets hit, and the service provided may not always be of the quality promised.
- Most outsourcing companies suffer from the lack of any proper terminology management. German to English translation service faces similar hurdles. But by streamlining the process and standardizing the effort, the turnaround time can be reduced by as much as 90%, and quality increased to almost 95%.
Mayflower provides the following German– English Translation Services:
- German to English Translation
- German to English Localization
- German to English Voice-over
- English to German Translation
- English to German Localization
- English to German Voice-over